The Luckiest Generation
That ever has been or probably ever will be
1929 to 1945
Jack and Barbara Rairden
The Six Living Generations in America
as per Ref. 3
1. GI / Greatest Generation 1901-1926. Strong sense of civic duty; marriage is for life; Strong loyalty to jobs, groups, schools; No “retirement”, work until couldn’t work anymore; Use it up, make it do, or do without; Avoid debt...save and buy with cash.
2. Mature / Silent Generation 1927-1945. Depression years, then WWII; Postwar peace, jobs, suburbs; Drumbeats of civil rights; Pre-feminist women; Men loyal to corporation, many worked for career with one company; Richest, most free-spending retirees in history; Marriage for life; Avid readers, especially newspapers; Disciplined, self-sacrificing, cautious.
3. Baby Boomers 1946-1964. Save-the-world revolutionaries in ‘60s and ‘70s; Yuppies; Self-righteous & self-centered, Women working outside the home in record numbers; TV generation, Divorce generation. Optimistic, driven, team-oriented; 77 million people; Retirement - enjoy life, have fun, exercise and take up hobbies.
4. Generation X 1965-1980. Latch-key kids; Entrepreneurial; Individualistic; Government and big business mean little, Want to save the neighborhood; Cynical of major institutions; Tend to commit to self rather than an organization or specific career; Late to marry, quick to divorce; Cautious, skeptical, unimpressed with authority, self-reliant.
5. Generation Y / Millennium 1981-2000. Sharp departure from Gen X; Nurtured by omnipresent parents, optimistic and focused; Falling crime and teen pregnancy rates; Respect authority; Schedule everything; Feel enormous academic pressure; Envision the world as a 24/7 place, want fast and immediate processing; Do not live to work, prefer a more relaxed work environment.
6. Generation Z / Boomlets 2001-Present. High birth rates, especially Hispanic; Large percent have TVs, video games, DVD players, computers and cell phones, Tired of hearing about environment and the many ways to save it; Savvy consumers, know what they want and how to get it.